The holidays are almost here, which means for some of us, prolonged road trips to Grandma’s house for either Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years! With holidays fast approaching, we might find ourselves spending time out on the roads and possibly in the snow!
The team at Gary’s Auto Service is here to help! Here are tips for staying safe in the snow:
- Slow down! It is important to remember that everything needs to be done slower in the snow, including accelerating, decelerating, and turning. When the pavement is covered in ice or snow, caution is key.
- Give yourself extra time to brake to ensure you stay in control over your vehicle.
- Make sure to keep longer following distance between you and the next car than normal.
- All-Wheel Drive is helpful, but it doesn’t always make a difference. In spots of black ice, AWD won’t help you stop faster than a front-wheel or rear-wheel-drive vehicle.
- Keep a steady pace at all times, going around a turn, stopping at a stop sign, and soon on. Maintain a smooth, even-keeled speed.
- Bring an emergency kit, non-perishable snacks, blankets, and an ice-scraper.
- If you are planning a longer trip in the snow, take a look at your exhaust system. If your exhaust system is clogged with snow, ice, or road debris, you and your passengers may be at risk of inhaling noxious fumes.
- Keep those headlights clean and bright! You need to be able to lighten up in the darkest, snowiest of nights.
Book an appointment with us today before you embark on your snowy adventure. The team at Gary’s Auto Service will thoroughly examine your vehicle to make sure everything is good to go for your ride in the snow. We look forward to seeing you!