April showers mean May flowers! We may find ourselves driving to work in an onslaught of heavy rain and wind very soon. Before you start to worry, the team at Gary’s Auto Service has put together a few tips and tricks designed to keep safe and secure in the April showers:
- Take your time! We can’t emphasize this tip enough. The slow and steady wins the race in the rain.
- Lights, camera, action! Turn your headlights on for extra visibility and safety.
- Have you ever heard of a bubble of personal space? You have one, and so does the vehicle in front of you. Make sure you maintain it, especially in the rain, as your visibility is diminished, and a sudden stop could prove disastrous.
- Watch out for hydroplaning! Hydroplaning happens when your tires lose traction on the road due to extra water. It is easy to hydroplane, as you can even hydroplane with 1/12 of an inch of water on the road and a speed of more than 35 mph. If you start to hydroplane, take your foot off the gas pedal slowly and steer straight until you get control back.
- Cruise control is a big “no!” Cruise control, surprisingly, can cause you to lose control.
- Keep an eye out in merging lanes. Make sure to drive defensively and take precautions when you or other cars are passing or merging.
If some components of your vehicle are not working correctly, you might find yourself more at risk during a rainstorm. Bring your car to Gary’s Auto Service for a check-up, and we will make sure each aspect of your vehicle up to snuff and are ready for the day ahead, rain or shine. Book an appointment with us today!